Thursday, January 26, 2012

Around the World in Five Days

Some of you may find it hard to believe that I'm actually a student when I tell you that by the end of this evening I would have been to five countries in less than seven days. 


I am a student, but a student of food. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I'm doing here at UNISG and what my ambitions and goals are. In the midst of this 'confusion' there is clarity,revelation, and  sometimes confirmation. I know that the sense of adventure runs through my blood, but it been reaffirmed that I like traveling. 


My adventure this year with food and people has afforded me the opportunity to be transported- figuratively- to several countries and have a glimpse of life and society of these no longer foreign and far removed places. China, Thailand, the Netherlands and Australia are no longer places on a map but places with gastronomical significance, people and  memories attached to them. 


I started the week off celebrating Chinese New Year. Our classmate tastefully educated us on the customs and the traditions associated with the new lunar year. We welcomed the year of the dragon with sumptuous dumplings, fried rice, noodles, fermented rice wine and the phrase 新年快乐 meaning happy new year. By the end of the celebration our classmate let us know that we were probably now qualified to work in a dumpling shop somewhere in China. I think we deserve the qualification since we spent a good part of the afternoon making dough, rolling the dough, filling up the dumplings, cooking the dumplings and finally after our hard work eating the yummy dumplings.


I had a taste of Thailand on my way home from school when I stopped by my friend's apartment. I was tasting her Thai dessert she had made the previous night. I cannot remember the names of these dishes but a warm banana and coconut dessert and a  warm bean and ginger sort of dessert soup were very different  for my some what under developed palette. I can't wait to taste more of her Thai creations.


Last night my flatmates joined me on my journey. They had their first taste of Southern Africa. I prepared a meal I have prepared countless times in my life; nonetheless, I believe that they enjoyed their sadza, nyama and muriwo. As I showed them how to mold the sadza into their hands and how to properly clap their hands in thanks, I realized that these every day customs and traditions that are intrinsic to me are not mundane, but something special that gives me a sense of belonging. 


As far as I know (excuse my ignorance) we do not have any traditional baked desserts in my country. That makes me sad since I like dessert and baked goods. I was unable to offer my friends a 'traditional' baked dessert from my homeland but lucky me we had a birthday to celebrate, and I believe that birthdays call for dessert.


The celebrant went out for her birthday dinner were she was not allowed to order dessert. Unbeknownst to her, in the cold dark night nine of her gastronomy classmates walked through the silent streets of Bra to deliver a delicious delicately designed Dutch Apple Pie her. We sang and toasted to our classmate and she generously shared her dessert with us. I believe the surprise dessert was well worth the wait. I have never been to the Netherlands but I hope that when I go there I'll have an equally delicious apple pie like the one my Dutch classmates made. 


To end this world tour tonight I'm headed to Australia. Our Australians have decided to celebrate Australia Day with us with an authentic Aussie barbie (BBQ). I know nothing about Australia except from what I learnt while studying English Literature and reading novels by the Australian author Peter Carey. Oh and how can I forget to include the "knowledge" gained from watching hours of Neighbours and Home and Away! 


But I wish I could make one more stop to South Africa today to celebrate a very special birthday.Today my friend celebrates another year of life. I am so thankful to have met her. She changed my life for the better. She is the friend who you call at 4am just to say hi (even though she would not appreciate it), the friend with the cute dimples and the beautiful smile.The friend with a high tolerance of crazy, the friend who cooks from the heart and makes sure you are always well fed and full, the friend who is the voice of reason. The friend who loves you just because you are you. Buon Compleanno L! I pray that your life is full of love just like you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment